Monday, December 6, 2010

the great call of diligence of men to labor in the vineyards


Hey Familia!!!

Wow, what a week to catch you all up on. I wish I could just tell you all the miracles we’ve seen in just these last 7 days, but there’s no way I could tell them all in 1 hour. But basically remember that family we said we were helping last week? Well we went last Monday and ended up realizing there was a lot more work than we were expecting. I wish I could describe the heart breaking conditions they were living in. basically there house was 4 walls and ground. They had a plastic tarp covering half of the house and some old sheets blocking the doors and windows. (see pictures to start imagining). That was it. There bed was some old nasty springs with 2 thin cot type mattresses and a few blankets. They were cooking with an old gas stove and the only water they had was dirty and scarce. After a day of searching, praying, miracles we ended up finding their neighbors were giving away old tiles of their old roof. Actually they were selling it but I called the guy and he agreed to just give it to them. Oh man I wish I could just tell you what happened everyday, but there’s just no time. Basically that was Monday but by Saturday in the afternoon they ended up getting the wood they needed to put up the roof for FREE. (us sisters have connections.. and my companion is SO good at talking to people… and the Lord is so generous), they found jobs to get them through the week and they have interviews for more permanent work, they have a fridge they put on its side to hold water, and the Cruz family that we live with gave them a really nice bed and lots of things to get them going through this time. I cant even describe the feelings of gratitude we’ve had this week for the opportunity to see these miracles and the happiness they’ve found. The best part is that we know and they recognize that all these blessings are from Heavenly Father and its because they have found the gospel.
The other miracle was yesterday at church. They had to go to church so they can get baptized the 25 of December, but we couldn’t go bring them because it is so far away from the church. But Issis promised she’d get there. So we got there with a few other investigators but no issis. Worried, they still started at 9 and we waited. 9:15, 9:30, 9:45 and I decided to wait outside the chapel to wait for her. I began doubting and getting really discouraged. I thought maybe something went wrong. But as I sat in the hall praying I felt a little stinge of hope. I had Jenny Cruz, my little sister run in and out a few times to see if they were coming. Nothing. Then she said she’d check one more time. It was 10:00. I said a prayer and said, ¨okay Heavenly Father. They have 5 minutes. They can still make it, but only with a miracle. Its up to you now.¨ I looked over and saw jenny come back in sight, with a huge smile and big thumbs up. I almost started crying. Issis and her daughters had been running the 30 or 40 minute walk to get to church. She didnt have a watch and her phone was dead so she didn’t know what time it was, but she was determined to get there. She got in sacrament meeting right in time for the closing testimony, song, and prayer. Then loved the next two hours. It was such a miracle that gave me such a boost of faith. I don’t know why I ever doubt.

Anyway needless to say Heavenly Father has been busying answering all our prayers this week. He has done a marvelous work and a wonder in this family and I’m so grateful I get to be a small instrument in His hands to see it.
I guess that’s pretty much the biggest news for the week. I’m so grateful for this chance to be a missionary. I feel so humbled to be here and teach God’s children His eternal truths. I’m grateful for the atonement of Christ which will make my small sacrifice I’m giving perfect. I feel so humbled because I have so many faults, but I know heavenly Father loves me just the same.

May you all start this Christmas season with lots of Christ’s love and cheer from the gospel. More thoughts on that next week.

Love you all so much!
Hermana Smith

p.s. pictures of service.. hope you can figure it out.. no time to put captions. haha. GET OUT THERE AND HELP!!! there is always something to do. Alma 28: 14

"And thus we see the great call of diligence of men to labor in the vineyards of the Lord; and thus we see the great reason of sorrow, and also of rejoicing—sorrow because of death and destruction among men, and joy because of the light of Christ unto life."

No comments:

Post a Comment