Monday, November 22, 2010

November 22, 2010

Hello family!!!
Wow, what a great week we had! I’m definitely starting to see some of the trials that always come with the GREAT things we have, so its hard, but its been worth it. I read something the other day that said ¨The difficult things we do bring a lot more pleasant memories than a lot of easy things.¨ Its so true in missionary work! Its not easy, but it definitely brings the memories I want to have when I leave.
One of the awesome miracles we’ve had this week happened Saturday in the morning. Our district decided we’d set up a table with pamphlets and Liahonas and lots of fun things to give away. So we set it up in the middle of a busy area and handed out free stuff to the whole world. It was so funny because nobody was interested until we told them it was free.. then they were all over it. Haha. Anyway so one lady walked by and said something in English because in our district there are 4 northamericans. We all just kind of laughed but didn’t think anything of it because she just walked past and we didn’t catch her. Anyway then a few minutes she walked past again and didn’t really say anything but all of the sudden she asked me what we were there for, vacation, etc. So my companion and I started talking to her in English and explaining what were there for. She had lived in CA 9 years but is from Honduras. She has a perfect accent. Anyway so we finally got to the contacting, testifying part of the talk (super hard, btw in English) and apparently I said something about families (don’t remember that, but she did) and it really touched her heart. So she was SO excited for us to go over and teach her family. She runs this little second hand clothes store so we said we’d stop by. So we went by yesterday and she was waiting for us. We talked a little and chatted about some of her beliefs, why she didn’t like any of the other churches and she told us she’s been searching for a church to go to. Then when I had said something about families that really hit her because her family means SO much to her. She has a husband and 2 little girls. We had given her a liahona in English and she said she read a little bit but mostly looked through the pictures and LOVED how beautiful the families looked in the pictures, all sitting together in church. We explained that’s totally how it is and she can have that eternal family too. Anyway we ended up teaching an hour and a half (standing up), basically teaching a little about everything because she had so many questions and was just loving it. She kept saying ¨I just love your religion. This is what I’ve been looking for!¨ she even said she was absolutely going to shut her store on Sundays so she can go to church. Anyway basically it was the most amazing lesson I’ve ever had and I just walked away jaw dropped and so grateful. I wish I could tell you everything but I just don’t have time. But I think the cutest part is that we explained a little about FHE and that the families are so important that we even set apart Monday for the families. So she called us later that night and asked us what time it was on Monday… we thought she was talking about when we were going to stop by and shop in her store, but she was like, ¨no, the family night thing… what time is that?¨! haha! So we’re going over there tonight to teach her how. Were going to teach about family prayer, play DON’T EAT PETE! And have rice krispie treats. Yay! So excited!

I definitely know that the Lord has led us to so many families and people this week. I’m so grateful for His hand in this work and the opportunity I get to see miracles and change MY life for it. Aren’t I selfish?
Just to finish I thought I’d invite you all to read D&C 11: 12-14.

[12 And now, verily, verily, I say unto thee, put your trust in that Spirit which leadeth to do good—yea, to do ejustly, to walk fhumbly, to gjudge righteously; and this is my Spirit.
13 Verily, verily, I say unto you, I will impart unto you of my Spirit, which shall enlighten your mind, which shall fill your soul with joy;
14 And then shall ye know, or by this shall you know, all things whatsoever you desire of me, which are pertaining unto things of righteousness, in faith believing in me that you shall receive.]

I know that one of the hardest but most important things we have to do on this earth and in this life is learn to follow the spirit’s promptings. But I hope I’m right in saying that ALL of us have wondered how and struggled to do that. I know I did and still do some times. But I was reflecting on something I heard this week that one of the things we have to learn is how to recognize the spirit when its not burning a hole in our chest. Have you any of you wondered how? The scriptures are full of answers to this question and doubt, but this scripture in D&C really hit me hard this morning. Maybe some of you can find an answer too.

Love you all so much! Keep your faith strong and keep smiling to strengthen the faith of someone else.

Love, Hermana Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment